Setting up the milestone burnup chart
The milestone burnup chart allows you to track your progress towards a milestone such as completion of a customer project or a new product release.
Below is an example of a milestone burnup chart
The milestone burnup chart consists
- A scope curve in yellow representing the total work assigned for the milestone
- A completed curve in white representing the work done so far
- Historical velocity of the team
- Completion scenarios based on the historical velocity
Follow the steps below to set up the milestone burnup chart for your Scrum or Kanban board.
1. Create a version
In Jira, versions are used for scheduling and organising releases. You can set up the milestone burnup chart by creating a Jira version, and assigning issues to it.
To see a list of versions:
- Login to Jira
- Choose Projects and click the name of the project. The project summary page is displayed.
- Choose Versions in the left sidebar, you'll see a list of available versions.
To add a new version:
1 Enter the name for the version (e.g. “2.1" or “Memphis”).
2 Optional details such as the version description, start date and release date
3 Click Add.
Now go and assign issues the version you want to track.
2. Create a new filter
Your board's filter specifies which issues are included on your board. For example, your board may include issues from multiple projects, or from only one project, or from a particular component of a project.
The trick is to adjust your filter so that only those tasks that belong to a release are included. If you do not want to modify the filter of your existing board, you can always create a new board for that purpose only.
Note that you don’t have to use versions in tracking your releases. Alternatively, you can use e.g. project, or any of your custom fields in filtering the issues.
To create a new filter
- Select Issues > Search for issues
- Set parameters using the drop down menus (project, task types etc.)
- Select More > Fix version, pick the correct version from the drop down menu that appears
- Click the Save as button above the search results, the save filter dialog opens
- Enter a name for the filter and click Submit
3 Assign filter to your board
To choose a filter associated with your board
- Navigate to the desired board, then click Board > Configure
- Click the name of the displayed in the Saved filter field. A pencil icon will appear when you hover over it.
- Choose a filter for your board. Press the Enter key when finished.
Read more about the milestone burnup chart on our tour page.