Using Custom fields in Jira
If you have added custom fields to you Jira board, they will be automatically imported and made available in your dashboard. You can use them for:
- As units of work
- Set size, complexity, or custom estimate - whatever you use for estimating effort
- Use in tracking progress of sprints and milestones
- Grouping and filtering by a custom field
- See the number of open/completed issues per custom field
- See total estimated work per custom fields
- Track metrics like lead & cycle times per custom field
Once you add a field to a board, it is imported to you dashboard during the next data sync (the data is synced once per hour and you can trigger sync manually anytime at the integration settings). Once synced, your Select menu, Radiobutton, and Checkbox custom fields become available for grouping and filtering data. Number custom fields can be used for e.g. assigning estimates, or other kind of weights such as monetary value for individual issues. Fields of type Text or Textarea are not supported currently.
Assigning estimates for tasks
Screenful will automatically make all Number fields available in the Unit field in the chart settings. If you have a Select menu, Checkboxes, or Radiobuttons field that you'd like to use as a Unit, you can change the field mapping.
Here's how it looks like in the Task Status settings:
In the Task Status screen, when a custom field is selected as the unit, the rightmost column reports the sum of the values in each state:
Instead of just seeing the total number of issues, you can now see the total estimated work per tasks per individual. Custom fields allow you to associate your own data with the issues and have them reported in your dashboard. It is a great way to extend the data available for reporting in your dashboard.
Grouping and filtering by a custom field
Custom fields that are of type Select menu, Checkboxes, or Radiobuttons become available in the group by menus so you can use them for grouping data in the charts. Here's an example how they can be used for grouping in the Open tasks chart:
This chart is grouped by Goal, a Select custom field added to the Jira board. The breakdown overlay shows the number of open issues per Goal.
Here are the steps required to produce the above chart:
- Add a Select custom field named Goal to your Jira board
- Add select options for the field (i.e. the list of available Goals)
- Assign issues to Goals by selecting the Goal from the select menu
- In Screenful, select Goal from the Group by menu
This is just an example of how you can extend Trello's core features using custom fields, in this case by assigning tasks to Goals. You can probably think of many other uses for custom fields!